Friday 23 December 2011

Nikon Capture NX2 2.3 Update

NX2 made it to version 2.3 this week and it's a significant update bringing a considerable speed boost and greater responsiveness all round. The Mac version supports 64 bit kernels and if your computer boots into 32 bit mode by default but supports the 64 bit kernel, you can boot into 64 bit mode by holding down 6 and 4 at start up (6 and 4 for 64 bit, geddit?). You'll need a wired keyboard for this and you will revert to 32 bit mode at restart unless you repeat the 64 bit boot procedure.

One note of caution: for the first time at a Capture update I was asked to reenter my product key. No problem, I had a pdf of the key saved on my computer. But, as my key was an upgrade from NX1 I also needed to enter that key.  Enter the NX2 key first, then the NX1 key when prompted. A search of the software cupboard yielded the rather dusty six year old NX1 box and disc but now NX2 was refusing to accept the key. After a couple of calls to Nikon technical support I was asked to email across a photograph of the original box, the disc, the key, my receipt and the pdf of my NX2 key together with the front page of that day's Telegraph. OK, I made the last bit up, but still! Message one: Don't update any critical software unless you've time to troubleshoot any problems. Message two: Don't do it if you're in one place and your boxed software is somewhere else. Message three: Download the software in future and keep the receipts and keys on your computer. It'll be much less painful and you'll be greener too.

Update: Several photographers are reporting having to enter their key four times before it would be accepted. This would be in line with my own experience. I made several attempts, contacted technical support and waited for a new key to be issued. That evening I made a fourth attempt and found my original keys were accepted. I'd assumed that Nikon had reactivated my key but it now looks as if it may be an odd bug. So, if at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment